Informative facts concerning our non-surgical procedures.
Do you have questions about the non-surgical procedures, treatments or services that we offer? Below is a list of some frequently asked questions that may put you at ease.
Please call Cosmedical Clinic if you need additional information. We want you to feel completely comfortable with your procedure.
What is the difference between BTX* and Fillers?
BTX* is a muscle relaxant, which prevents the muscle from moving, therefore, preventing the lines from forming. However, it will generally, not eradicate static lines. Fillers (Hyaluronic Acids) are a thick, clear biological gel which is injected into the dermis of the skin to help lift and soften lines and is also used for facial contouring.
How long do BTX* and Fillers last?
Depending on the condition of the skin – fillers will usually last 3-6 months and longer with consecutive treatments. BTX* will last most patients from 3 up to 6 months depending on the individual.
How painful will the treatment be?
This will often depend on individual client’s pain threshold, but usually are considered to be just uncomfortable. We offer a range of pain relief, which includes:
- Topical anesthetic cream
- Injectable local anesthetic
What is the recovery time for:
- BTX* – no recovery time
- Fillers – usually most treatments can be disguised with camouflage/ mineral makeup and clients are able to return to work immediately. Occasionally bruising may occur and can take 3-5 days to disappear.
- Laser- after resurfacing procedures, redness and swelling will be evident for 5-7 days and some flaking of skin for up to 10 days. Tinted SPF moisturisers and mineral make-up can be used to minimise redness.
The Heallite LED light treatment can be used in conjunction with these treatments to reduce downtime.
How long does a treatment take?
- BTX* – you will generally only need a 15-minute appointment time for the actual treatment, but for initial treatments, longer may be required for any queries you may have.
- Fillers -Allow at least 1/2 an hour for application of topical local anesthetic, and for soothing ice treatments afterwards.
- Peels- Usually 1/2 an hour is suitable.
How do I know how much BTX* or Filler I will require?
The amount of BTX* or Filler required is dependent on the clients individual needs and desired outcomes. Men will generally require more units of BTX* as their muscles are thicker and stronger. Lowering the dose of BTX* used may shorten the longevity of its action but give a more natural result with some movement persisting. Your Botox dose needs to be individually tailored to suit the effect you would like to achieve.
How much filler is required will depend on how much volume loss there is; how much enhancement is required and the quality of the clients skin. Generally lips are treated with 1ml per treatment session, while cheeks may require 2-4mls. Most clients prefer a gradual, subtle change that is achieved over several repeated treatments. Thus optimising the longevity of the product.
How many Laser treatments will I require?
- Laser treatments for veins and redness (Limelight, ND Yag1064, and Genesis) require 2-4 treatments spaced 4-6 weeks apart.
- Red skin conditions such as Rosacea, may need up to 6 treatments with ongoing maintenance.
- Laser treatments for superficial pigmentation and freckles with Limelight, require 2-3 treatments to obtain optimal results and clearance of colour with the added benefit of improved skin texture.
- For ablative (Pearl Laser) or semi-ablative (Pearl Fractional) or a combination of the two, depends on the clients skin condition and the depth of the treatment. Pearl Laser and Pearl Fractional can be used very lightly for subtle skin textural improvements with very little downtime and may be repeated 2-4 times in a 12 month period. Deeper treatments for overall significant resurfacing, may be performed 1-2 times in a 12 month period with approximately 7 days downtime.
What are the possible side-effects and risks of having any of these procedures?
Because all the products used are temporary, it is highly unlikely that you will experience side-effects more than just short-term redness swelling and possible bruising.
At Cosmedical Clinic, you can be assured that all efforts will be made to ensure your safety and minimal downtime.
Detailed medical information sheets are filled out with a thorough consultation and as we have several Doctors in our practice, there will always be at least one on the premises.
All new patients are required to return for a 2-week follow-up to enable the practitioner to ensure the patient’s satisfaction and to allow for any tailoring of treatment.
How do I know which product is the best for me?
The decision about which product or treatment to use is best made in conjunction with one of Cosmedical Clinic’s qualified, experienced practitioner.
You will have numerous products and treatments available and these need to be tailored to your skin type, concerns, budget and desired outcomes.
A complete consultation process should be undertaken prior to your treatment so that you have a thorough understanding of your choices.
What do I avoid prior to treatment?
Prior to injectable treatments it is best to avoid high doses of fish oils, Vitamin E, Ibuprofen (Neurofen) medication and prophylactic aspirin.
Any medication that thins the blood (including antioxidant medication) increases the chance of bruising from the treatment. This can also apply to some Chinese herbal remedies such as ginseng, ginko biloba and others.
Skin treatments such as peels and laser are best performed at least 1 week prior to or 1 week after any injectable treatments. With deeper laser resurfacing, patients should wait for at least 1 month to have any dermal fillers.
Will my results look natural?
The greatest fear of most patients is that they will not look natural and no longer look like themselves.
We believe in a conservative approach and feel that “less is more”. An individual program can be built for you if required, to enable you to adapt to even the slightest changes.
The results you receive from any cosmetic injectable or skin treatment such as laser or peels, will depend on the skill and experience of your practitioner, as well as the outcome of your detailed consultation process. Our skilled, experienced professionals will be able to assure you that your treatment will leave you looking your natural best.
You can be certain that you will receive the utmost care with the same practitioner who will make you feel confident to return for a follow-up 2 weeks after your treatment, to optimise a satisfactory result.
When can I resume normal activities?
We usually advise patients to avoid strenuous exercise, excessive alcohol, hot showers and heavy oil-based make-ups or active skin products (such as retinoic acid), for at least 24-48 hours to reduce the possibility of swelling, bruising and irritation of the injected areas.
You will need to be a little patient for the first 24-48 hours, as we believe in the 3 “C’s”- Cool, Calm and Clear. After deeper laser resurfacing, patients will be required to stay out of direct sunlight, wear a protective sun hat and apply SPF.
*BTX – Botulinum Clostridium Toxin Type A – Muscle relaxant